Make this Gluten Free Caramel Apple Crisp for the perfect fall dessert that's so good you'll want to eat it for breakfast. Dairy free option. Be sure to serve it with ice cream and extra caramel sauce!
For the filling:
You’ll Need:For the topping:
- ¾ C all-purpose flour (or ¾ C gluten free flour PLUS ½ tsp xanthan gum)
- 1/3 C granulated sugar
- 1/3 C light brown sugar
- ¼ tsp fine sea salt
- ½ C old fashioned oats (or gluten free oats for gluten free)
- ½ C butter, cold and cubed (use palm shortening for dairy free)
For the filling:
- 1 ½ lb. Macintosh apples (peeled, cored, and sliced)
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ¼ C light brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch or tapioca flour
- ½ C caramel pieces (for dairy free use dairy free caramels like Cocomels)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9x9 inch baking dish with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the prepared apples, orange zest, lemon zest, lemon juice, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cornstarch. Mix well and pour into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the caramel pieces over the top, evenly distributing them.
- To make the topping, add the flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, salt, and oats to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix to combine.
- Add the cubed butter (or shortening) and mix on low to incorporate. When the dough starts to come together, crumble it over the top of the apples.
- Place the baking dish over a rimmed baking sheet (in case the apples bubble over) and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until the topping is browned/crisp and the apples are bubbling.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce.