This Broccoli Lemon Rice is a simple lemon flavoured rice with Broccoli. It is easy to prepare and requires only few minutes. My family loves lemon rice and I prepare it very often. Sometimes it is just the simple South Indian Style Lemon Rice or Lemon Rice with twists like this one.
- Rice : 1 1/2 Cup
- Broccoli : 250 grams
- Garlic : 4-5 cloves (finely chopped)
- Dried Red Chillies : 2 – 3 nos.
- Turmeric powder : 1/4 Teaspoon
- Oil : 2 Teaspoon
- Cumin seeds : 1/2 Teaspoon
- Onion : 1 medium sized (chopped)
- Salt : to taste
- Lemon Juice : 1/4 Cup
- First cook rice as per your preferred cooking method. I usually pressure cook rice.
- Do all the other preparations. Clean and chop broccoli, chop onions and mince garlic. Keep it ready.
- Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds. When they sputter, add onions, garlic, dried red chillies and fry till onions turn translucent.
- Then add turmeric powder, mix well.
- Next add broccoli florets, required salt, mix well and cook. If needed sprinkle some water and cook.
- Then add lemon juice, mix well and turn off the heat.
- Add cooked rice, mix well. Check and adjust salt accordingly.
- Serve it warm.
- I have used short grain rice (par boiled ponni rice). You can use basmati rice too.
- The rice to water ratio, I used for cooking rice is 1:2. But depending on the cooking method and rice, it will vary. For example the ratio for basmati is 1: 1.5.
- Usually 1 cup of (uncooked) rice yields about 3 cup of cooked rice. As per the recipe, 1.5 cups yields approximately 4.5 cups of rice.
- Instead of Dried red chillies, you can use green chillies too.
- You can adjust lemon juice as per your taste.