This soup is easy fresh and delicious made with juicy chicken and zingy lime juice. Top with tortilla chips, cheese and sour cream and cozy up with a big warm bowl of comfort food.
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts*
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 cup chopped green onions (including whites, mince the whites)
- 2 jalapeños , seeded and minced (leave seeds if you want soup spicy, omit if you don't like heat)
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 4 (14.5 oz) cans low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 Roma tomatoes , seeded and diced
- 3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 3 medium avocados , peeled, cored and diced
- Tortilla chips , monterrey jack cheese, sour cream for serving (optional)
- In a large pot heat 1 Tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Once hot, add green onions and jalapenos and saute until tender, about 2 minutes, adding garlic during last 30 seconds of sauteing.
- Add chicken broth, tomatoes, cumin, season with salt and pepper to taste and add chicken breasts. Bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Then reduce heat to medium, cover with lid and allow to cook, stirring occasionally, until chicken has cooked through 10 - 15 minutes (cook time will vary based on thickness of chicken breasts).
- Reduce burner to warm heat, remove chicken from pan and let rest on a cutting board 5 minutes, then shred chicken and return to soup. Stir in cilantro and lime juice.
- Add avocados to soup just before serving (if you don't plan on serving the soup right away, I would recommend adding the avocados to each bowl individually, about 1/2 an avocado per serving). Serve with tortilla chips, cheese and sour cream if desired.
- *For thicker chicken breasts, cut breasts in half through the length (thickness) of the breasts, they will cook faster and more evenly.