Bursting with lemon flavor, this is a delicious way to turn plain rice into an exotic dish, and it’s the perfect accompaniment to any meats and/or veggies.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 green onions , white parts only, cut into thin rounds (reserve green parts for garnish)
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- salt and fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 1 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup half & half (or heavy cream, evaporated milk, or milk)
- Juice of 1 lemon (about 3 tablespoons)
- chopped fresh dill , for garnish
- chopped green onions , for garnish
- Melt butter and heat olive oil in a nonstick pan.
- Add onions and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in garlic and lemon zest; continue to cook and stir for 30 seconds, or until fragrant.
- Add rice; season with turmeric, salt and pepper, and cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Stir in vegetable broth, milk, and lemon juice.
- Turn up the heat and bring mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer; cover the pan and simmer for 18 to 20 minutes, or until liquid has evaporated.
- Remove from heat.
- Fluff with a fork and taste for seasonings; adjust accordingly.
- Garnish with dill and green onions.