You’re going to love this pesto chicken sandwich. Sourdough, toasted in olive oil and topped with grilled chicken, pesto, Swiss cheese, and fresh tomatoes. A perfect easy and attractive dinner for guests or a cozy night in.
- 1 pound (about 2 small) boneless skinless chicken breasts pounded thin
- Salt and pepper
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup pesto
- Mayonnaise optional
- 2 medium tomatoes sliced
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- Olive oil optional
- Sprinkle both sides of your flattened chicken breasts with Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Heat an electric counter-top grill or large skillet over medium-high heat. If using a skillet, spray with cooking spray or coat with a little olive oil. Cook chicken breasts for 5 to 8 minutes per side, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the centers of the breasts reads 165°Transfer chicken to a cutting board and allow to rest for 5 minutes before slicing into 1/2-inch wide strips. Wipe out your pan.
- Assemble sandwiches by spreading mayonnaise (if desireand about a tablespoon of pesto over the bread. Top with chicken, tomatoes, and cheese, and brush tops and bottoms of the sandwiches lightly with olive oil or a thin layer of mayonnaise to help them brown.
- Cook sandwiches over medium to medium high heat until first side is toasted and flip. The sandwiches are done when both sides are golden and the cheese is melted. If making in a skillet, you will probably only be able to fit two sandwiches at a time in the pan. Place cooked sandwiches on a plate in a warm oven while you repeat the process with the last two sandwiches to keep them warm.
- Make Ahead Instructions: Chicken can be cooked up to two days in advance, but needs to be reheated before going on the sandwich because it won't heat through while toasting the bread. Everything else should be cut and assembled just before cooking.
- Recipe For Two Instructions: Recipe halves cleanly.
- Freezer Notes: This sandwich does not hold up well for freezing, but unused sourdough and any extra chicken can be stored in the freezer in air-tight containers for up four months.