This Sausage and Peppers Spaghetti Squash Casserole is an easy grain-free recipe that replaces pasta with spaghetti squash.
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 1 pound Italian seasoned ground sausage
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cups pasta sauce (I use canned, you can use homemade!)
- 3 eggs, whisked
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- Fresh basil, salt & pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- To cook the spaghetti squash, cut it in half, scoop out the seeds, and place it face down in a microwave safe bowl. Fill the bowl with 2 inches of water and microwave on high 5 - 10 minutes or until squash is soft. Remove from the microwave, wait until cool enough to handle and pull the strands of squash loose with a fork. Squeeze the squash with a cheese cloth or strain it through a fine mesh strainer to get all the extra liquid out.
- While the squash cooks, in a medium pan cook the ground sausage until no longer pink. Remove and set aside.
- In the same pan, cook the peppers and onion until they're soft, about 5 minutes. Stir back in the sausage.
- Spray a large (5 qt) casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray. Mix the squash, sausage mixture, and pasta sauce all together. Pour in the eggs and seasonings and mix to combine. (I do this right in the pan, but it can get messy. If you prefer, mix it all together in a large bowl then pour it into the casserole dish).
- Sprinkle cheese on top of the squash.
- Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the top forms a slight crust.