These rolls require just 7 basic ingredients and very easy-to-follow methods. Nothing complicated or exhausting here. vegan dinner rolls that are fluffy, buttery, and so simple to make. Perfect for weeknight meals and holiday gatherings! No one would guess they're dairy-free.
- 2 Tbsp organic cane sugar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 packet rapid-rise yeast
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (sub up to 1/3 with whole-wheat pastry // plus more for kneading)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened plain almond milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 Tbsp vegan butter + more for topping
- In a large mixing bowl, combine 3/4 cup flour (amount as recipe is written // adjust if altering batch size), yeast, sugar and salt.
- In a separate mixing bowl (or small saucepan over medium heat), microwave the water, almond milk and butter until warm - about 110 - 120 degrees F / 43 - 48 C (~55 seconds). It should be the temperature of bath water. If it’s too hot, it can kill the yeast.
- Add wet to the dry ingredients and whisk or beat for 2 minutes, scraping sides as needed.
- Add 1/4 cup (amount as recipe is written // adjust if altering batch size) more flour and beat for another 2 minutes. Then, add only enough remaining flour to make a soft dough. Transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic. Then let rest 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 12 pieces (amount as recipe is written // alter if adjusting batch size), shape into balls, and place in a greased 8x8 dish or 8-inch round pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size - about 30-45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and brush the tops with additional melted vegan butter (optional). Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until fluffy and light golden brown.
- For best results, serve immediately as is, or with vegan butter and jam of choice, such as Orange Thyme. Alternatively, store them loosely covered with a kitchen towel for up to 3 days on the counter. For freezing, we recommend freezing pre-baked, then when ready to prepare, let them thaw, rise, and bake.
- *1 packet yeast is ~2 1/4 tsp.