Here’s the perfect Italian meatloaf! Tender and delicious with Italian seasonings, mozzarella and tomato sauce. It promises to be a favorite!
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 fire roasted red pepper, diced
- olive oil, for sauteing
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 vine-ripened tomato, diced
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 + ¼ pounds ground beef or turkey
- ½ cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 + ½ cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Heat a skillet with enough oil to cover the bottom of pan over medium-low heat, add onion and pepper, saute until tender. Add garlic, saute until fragrant; add tomato and Italian seasoning, saute 3-4 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a large bowl whisk together egg, ⅓ cup tomato sauce, and Worcestershire. Add ground meat, bread crumbs, black pepper, Parmesan and sautéed veggies. Combine with a fork; mix in 1 cup of mozzarella.
- In a large, greased roasting pan form the meat into a loaf. Spread the remaining ½ cup sauce over top and sprinkle with remaining ½ cup mozzarella. Bake about 45 minutes or until no longer pink in the middle. Let set five minutes before serving.